An Arizona woman says she was on "high alert" for nine years against her own "personal terrorist"—and she's relieved he's now dead. Those were the words of Dr. Connie Jones on Tuesday, when the AP notes she addressed for the first time the six Phoenix-area murders carried out by her ex-husband, Dwight Lamon Jones, earlier this month. At a presser, Connie Jones revealed how she'd dealt with threats from her ex (who killed himself June 4 during a police standoff) against her and her son since she'd filed for divorce in 2009, and that she'd always felt she would be the one her ex would attempt to murder. "I knew one day we would be in a situation where he was trying to kill me," she told reporters, per the Phoenix New Times. "His death is the best thing to come out of this ordeal."
Connie Jones documents years of threats, including her ex saying he'd kill her, kidnap their son, kill both her and their son, or murder just their son to "torture" her. CNN documents the steps she took to stay safe, including changing routines and schedules (meaning they avoided favorite spots and kept switching grocers), setting up multiple safe houses, and obtaining round-the-clock security. The Los Angeles Times notes Jones hired private investigator Rick Anglin to offer her "extensive" training in weapons and defensive driving; she ended up marrying him. Anglin was the one who put the pieces together and told cops his suspicions that Dwight Jones had carried out the murders. Connie Jones says she's saddened over the killings but adds she was "very happy" when she heard her ex had died: "[I felt] relief in my chest that this … would be the last that I had to deal with him." (Read more Arizona stories.)