Oscar night was filled with highs and lows, from the predictably inspirational moments when Kate Winslet finally won and Heath Ledger’s family received his posthumous award, to the cheap shot of producers cutting to Angelina Jolie’s face during Jennifer Aniston’s presenter speech. More from the Los Angeles Times. Best:
- Sean Penn opened his acceptance speech by greeting “you Commie, homo-loving sons-of-a-gun.”
- Host Hugh Jackman acknowledged The Dark Knight snub by singing, “How come comic book movies never get nominated?”
- Ben Stiller channeled Joaquin Phoenix, complete with Unabomber beard and sunglasses, and announced, “I want to retire from being a funny guy.”
- Jessica Biel fought her way in, somehow.
- Awkward! Bill Maher didn’t hide his irritation while presenting best documentary, a category in which his film, Religulous, was not recognized.
- Producers attempted to acknowledge the films people actually saw last year, but the resulting Pineapple Express bit was boring and pointless.
(Read more Oscars