Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 31, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
Critics Call Governor's New 'Common Sense' Order 'Ridiculous'
Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen's order narrowly defines 'male' and 'female,' angering trans advocates
- This week, a second governor put his name to an executive order that more rigidly defines an individual's sex, in what he deems a boost to women's rights and what critics say is an attack on the transgender community. The AP reports that Nebraska Gov. Jim Pillen signed...
Aug 10, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Governor Slams 'Absurd' Reason for Rebuffing Death-Row Inmates
Louisiana's John Bel Edwards asks pardons board to commute death sentences for 56 prisoners
- A mass petition from 56 Louisiana inmates seeking commutations from their death sentences has seemingly made its way to Democratic Gov. John Bel Edwards, who this week sent a letter to the state's Board of Pardons to ask for movement on this front. Per the Louisiana Radio Network , the...
Hey, There's Yet
Jun 7, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
Hey, There's Yet Another GOP Contender in Town
And he's long-shot candidate Doug Burgum, governor of North Dakota
- North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum has announced his candidacy for the 2024 Republican presidential nomination, adding his name to the long list of contenders hoping to dent former President Trump's early lead in the race. Burgum, 66, made the announcement in the
Wall Street Journal
and was expected to...
Out of 2024
May 23, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Youngkin Out of 2024 Race? Not So Fast
Virginia's GOP governor is reportedly considering a run after all
- Last month, Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin left the distinct impression that he wouldn't be running for the GOP nomination. This month, a much different narrative has emerged. First, Youngkin's campaign dropped a video on social media of the governor speaking at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library that looked...
Tennessee Governor Signs
Mar 3, 2023 12:30 AM CST
Tennessee Governor Signs 'Anti-Drag' Bill
Bill Lee has his own drag controversy
- As promised, Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee on Thursday signed what's being referred to as an "anti-drag" bill, though the word "drag" does not actually appear in the legislation, the AP reports. The new law categorizes "male or female impersonators" as "adult" performers, meaning they cannot...
Feb 28, 2023 2:17 PM CST
DeSantis Begins 'de Facto' 2024 Run
Florida governor starts national book tour
- It's a big week for Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and not only because of his power move against Disney . No, the presumed 2024 candidate isn't officially launching a campaign for president, but he is embarking on a national book tour, part of what Axios sees as a "...
Getting Buzz as
Feb 21, 2023 12:12 PM CST
Chris Sununu Getting Buzz as 2024 Contender
New Hampshire's GOP governor positions himself as 'normal' alternative to Trump
- New Hampshire Gov. Chris Sununu has been making noises about running for president in the 2024 election, though the Republican hasn't officially announced a campaign. He has, however, set up a political action committee, notes the Hill . The 48-year-old also is keeping a relatively high profile in the national...
Pennsylvania Governor Does
a 180 on Death Penalty
Feb 17, 2023 7:42 AM CST
Pennsylvania Governor Does a 180 on Death Penalty
Democrat Josh Shapiro says he wants it abolished for good, won't sign any execution warrants
- Josh Shapiro was once a supporter of the death penalty, including for the suspected gunman in the Tree of Life synagogue shooting in Philadelphia in 2018. Now, the Democratic governor of Pennsylvania says his views on capital punishment have shifted, and that he won't be signing any execution warrants...
3 Helpers Get Prison Time
in Whitmer Kidnap Plot
Dec 15, 2022 11:50 AM CST
3 Helpers Get Prison Time in Whitmer Kidnap Plot
They were convicted of helping a leader of the kidnap scheme in Michigan
- A judge on Thursday handed down the longest prison terms so far in the plot to kidnap Michigan's governor , sentencing three men who forged an early alliance with a leader of the scheme before the FBI broke it up in 2020, per the AP . Joe Morrison, Pete Musico, and...
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake
in Arizona Governor Race
Nov 14, 2022 9:04 PM CST
Katie Hobbs Defeats Kari Lake in Arizona Governor Race
Republican Kari Lake is an election denier and Trump ally
- Democrat Katie Hobbs was elected Arizona governor on Monday, defeating an ally of former President Trump who falsely claimed the 2020 election was rigged and refused to say she would accept the results of her race this year, the AP reports. Hobbs, who is Arizona’s secretary of state, rose...
In Plot to Kidnap Governor,
2 Guilty Verdicts
Aug 23, 2022 11:09 AM CDT
In Plot to Kidnap Governor, 2 Guilty Verdicts
Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. face life in prison over plans to abduct Gretchen Whitmer in Michigan
- A jury on Tuesday convicted two men of conspiring to kidnap Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in 2020, in a plot prosecutors described as a rallying cry for a US civil war by anti-government extremists. The jury also found Adam Fox and Barry Croft Jr. guilty of conspiring to obtain a...
Illinois Governor's Race
Shaping Up to Be Historic
Jun 27, 2022 11:10 AM CDT
Illinois Governor's Race Shaping Up to Be Historic
Contest with weird dynamics may end up being the most expensive nonpresidential race ever
- The Illinois primary is Tuesday, and the governor's race is generating national attention. When the dust settles, it may end up being the most expensive nonpresidential race in history, reports the
New York Times
. The main reason for that is that three extremely rich people are pouring money into...
Greg Abbott to
Face Off in Texas
Mar 1, 2022 8:30 PM CST
Beto O'Rourke, Greg Abbott to Face Off in Texas Governor's Race
They win their respective primaries Tuesday
- It'll be Beto O'Rourke vs. Greg Abbott in the Texas gubernatorial race. O'Rourke won the Democratic primary Tuesday—the first primary of the 2022 midterm election season—and incumbent Gov. Abbott won the Republican primary, the AP reports. O'Rourke, a former congressman, 2018 Senate candidate, and...
White House Slams 'Dangerous'
Move by Texas Governor
Feb 24, 2022 9:20 AM CST
White House Slams 'Dangerous' Move by Texas Governor
Greg Abbott wants gender-transitioning procedures investigated as child abuse
- Gov. Greg Abbott on Tuesday ordered Texas' child welfare agency to investigate reports of "gender-transitioning procedures" as child abuse, in a move LGBTQ advocates say will strip transgender children of their rights. Legislation to classify gender-affirming medical care as child abuse passed the state Senate but failed to pass...
Court to Kristof: No, You
Can't Run for Governor
Feb 17, 2022 1:04 PM CST
Court to Kristof: No, You Can't Run for Governor
Former 'Times' columnist doesn't meet residency requirements in Oregon
: Nicholas Kristof's attempt to segue from journalism to politics hit a giant roadblock on Thursday, when Oregon's Supreme Court declared him ineligible to run for governor, reports the Hill . The court agreed with a decision made by state election officials last month that the former
Flak After Gaffe
Feb 13, 2022 10:07 AM CST
Governor Takes Flak After Gaffe With Black Legislators
Virginia's Glenn Youngkin apologizes after mixing up two women
- Virginia's new Republican governor reached out across the aisle this week to praise veteran lawmaker Sen. L. Louise Lucas for her speech on Black History Month. One problem: It was a different Black legislator, Sen. Mamie E. Locke, who delivered the speech in question, reports the
Flak for Going
Feb 7, 2022 11:28 AM CST
Governor's Campaign Takes Flak for Going After Teen
Tweet by Virginia's 'Team Youngkin' called out 17-year-old critic by name and photo
- Virginia's new Republican governor is taking some heat because his campaign called out a teenage critic by name and photo. The tweet was not put up by Gov. Glenn Youngkin but by his "Team Youngkin" staff, and it has since been deleted, reports the
. The controversy...
'Man Who Lost Republicans
the US Senate' Wants New Job
Dec 6, 2021 12:00 AM CST
'Man Who Lost Republicans the US Senate' Wants New Job
Looks like former Sen. David Perdue is running for Georgia governor against Brian Kemp
- Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp, who drew former President Trump's wrath for refusing to act on his false allegations of a stolen election, is likely to face a prominent challenger for the 2022 Republican primary for governor: former Sen. David Perdue. Late Sunday, a website and text updates launched for...
Makes His Call on
Nov 29, 2021 6:37 AM CST
Matthew McConaughey Makes His Call on Governor Run
Texas native has decided not to take on Gregg Abbott in his home state
- Looks like it's back to Hollywood and/or family life for Matthew McConaughey. The 52-year-old actor has made headlines of late—and polled pretty well doing so—by publicly mulling whether he should make a run for governor in his home state of Texas. Over the weekend, however, he announced...
Eyes Run for
Nov 24, 2021 12:11 AM CST
Kinzinger Eyes Run for Illinois Governor
He thinks he's the only candidate capable of beating current Democratic governor
- Adam Kinzinger isn't running for re-election to the House of Representatives next year, but the anti-Trump Republican may be running for governor of his state. "I think I’m the only candidate that could win, at least that’s out there now," against the current Illinois governor,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Man Allegedly Killed Neighbor's Son Over Tree Trimming
Boston College Suspends Swimming, Diving Teams
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.