Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Chair of Trump's Inauguration
Jul 20, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Chair of Trump's Inauguration Committee Arrested
Tom Barrack accused of acting as agent for UAE
- Tom Barrack, the longtime friend of Donald Trump who advised the former president's 2016 campaign and led his inaugural committee, was a better friend to the United Arab Emirates, prosecutors say. The 74-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with secretly acting as an agent for the UAE, Politico reports....
How a Doomed
Oct 26, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
How a Doomed Couple Hacked the Inauguration
Alexandru Isvanca and Eveline Cismaru got into Washington's video surveillance system
- Meet Alexandru Isvanca and Eveline Cismaru: The Romanian couple was said to like pizza, playful evenings, and small-time Internet scams. They also allegedly hacked into Washington's video surveillance system just eight days before the 2016 presidential inauguration, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. "YOUR DOCUMENTS, PHOTOS, DATABASES AND OTHER...
Trump Inaugural Ball's
Money Has Vanished
Apr 13, 2019 1:15 PM CDT
Trump Inaugural Ball's Money Has Vanished
The Asian American event falls under scrutiny
- A Trump inaugural ball with connections to China attracted thousands of dollars in donations that have since vanished, the
Palm Beach Post
reports. The Asian Pacific American Presidential Inaugural Gala—a lavish event that included live entertainment and buffet-style dinner—charged $75 or more per ticket and drew over 900...
Trump Inaugural Committee
Hit With Sweeping Subpoena
Feb 5, 2019 2:24 AM CST
Trump Inaugural Committee Hit With Sweeping Subpoena
Prosecutors looking into potential money laundering, other violations
- President Trump has yet another legal headache: Federal prosecutors have stepped up their investigation of his inaugural committee and issued a sweeping subpoena for documents related to its donors and finances. Sources tell the
New York Times
that the subpoena seeks documents related to the committee's vendors, guests, contractors,...
Raked In Big
Bucks Is Cut
Feb 27, 2018 8:29 AM CST
Melania Pal Whose Firm Raked In Big Bucks Is Cut
Contract nixed for adviser Stephanie Winston Wolkoff, whose firm got $26M for inauguration
- A "gratuitous services contract" for an unpaid adviser to Melania Trump has been "severed," the first lady's rep announced, after news emerged that Stephanie Winston Wolkoff's event-planning company had been paid $26 million to help with President Trump's inauguration. Two sources tell the
Spicer Is 'Absolutely'
Sep 19, 2017 8:23 AM CDT
Spicer Is 'Absolutely' Sorry, Period.
Ex-press secretary says he regrets sparking debate about inauguration crowd size
- Days before Sean Spicer appeared at the Emmys , Stephen Colbert suggested the former White House press secretary shouldn't be forgiven for lying to the public. "He wants to be forgiven, but he won't regret anything he did," Colbert said on
Jimmy Kimmel Live
on Wednesday. "...
Apr 19, 2017 11:06 AM CDT
Trump Destroys Record for Inaugural Fundraising
Committee raised $107M, including $5M from Sheldon Adelson
- In 2009, a record-breaking $53 million was raised for President Obama's first inaugural festivities, despite a cap of $50,000 per donation, reports the
New York Times
. With no such cap in place, President Trump's inaugural committee says it raised twice as much at a whopping $107 million,...
Trump Called Park
Service to Demand
Crowd Photos: Sources
Jan 27, 2017 6:34 AM CST
Trump Called Park Service to Demand Crowd Photos: Sources
He wanted to prove media wrong, sources say
- President Trump may not have had the biggest inauguration crowd in history, but he may have made a bigger fuss about media coverage of it than any of his predecessors. Sources tell the
and CNN that on Saturday morning—the first morning of his presidency—Trump contacted Michael...
'Punched Man at
Jan 24, 2017 6:30 AM CST
Kellyanne Conway 'Punched Man at Inaugural Ball'
'No one was hurt except maybe the dude she smacked'
- Senior Donald Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway took matters into her own hands when two tuxedo-clad men started fighting at the inaugural Liberty Ball on Friday night, according to witnesses including Fox Business host Charles Gasparino. "We see a fight between two guys in tuxes and then suddenly out of...
After Dig at Trump,
Interior Dept Ordered
to Stop Tweeting
Jan 21, 2017 8:09 AM CST
After Dig at Trump, Interior Dept Ordered to Stop Tweeting
'Urgent directive' was issued from DC
- The Interior Department was ordered to stop tweeting from all its official accounts Friday after two posts from the National Park Service that seemed to criticize the new administration. One tweet illustrated the big difference in turnout between President Obama's 2009 inauguration and Friday's more lightly attended event...
How People Worldwide Are
Reacting to the Inauguration
Jan 20, 2017 7:33 AM CST
How People Worldwide Are Reacting to the Inauguration
Demonstrators flock to London's Tower Bridge, Berlin Wall to protest No. 45
- As thousands descend on Washington to demonstrate against the inauguration of Donald Trump, protesters around the world are also voicing their take on the new US president. In London, demonstrators made metaphor literal at the city's Tower Bridge, where a banner proclaiming "Build Bridges Not Walls" was spread...
It's Here: What to Watch for
at Trump Inauguration
Jan 20, 2017 6:26 AM CST
It's Here: What to Watch for at Trump Inauguration
His address could have echoes of Nixon
- The US begins its journey into uncharted territory Friday when Donald Trump takes political office for the first time in his life—starting at the top. He will deliver his inaugural address at 11:51am, according to the AP's timeline, and analysts say it will be one of the...
Pepper-Sprayed in DC
Jan 20, 2017 2:00 AM CST
Anti-Trump Protesters Pepper-Sprayed in DC
Michael Moore leads NYC protest
- The anti-Donald Trump protests kicked off as the inaugural events began Thursday night, with at least one protester arrested after a rally near Trump supporters' "DeploraBall" event at the National Press Club in Washington, DC. NBC Washington reports that police used pepper spray as they clashed with protesters, some...
Trump: 'We're Going
to Unify Our Country'
Jan 20, 2017 12:39 AM CST
Trump: 'We're Going to Unify Our Country'
At DC concert, he promises to 'make America greater'
- Donald Trump promised to make America "greater than ever before" at a concert at the Lincoln Memorial on the eve of his inauguration. "We're going to unify our country," the president-elect told the crowd. "And our phrase—you all know it, half of you are...
Girl Scouts Caught in
Jan 19, 2017 5:21 AM CST
Girl Scouts Caught in Inauguration Controversy
Protest group vows to block National Mall
- Even the Girl Scouts have been caught up in the controversy surrounding Donald Trump's inauguration. The group came under fire this week after announcing that around 75 members will be marching in Friday's inaugural parade. Boy Scouts will also be marching, but the Girl Scouts were criticized more...
This Guy Kept Out
Jan 18, 2017 10:33 AM CST
China Wants This Guy Kept Out of Inauguration
Says ex-Premier Yu Shyi-kun, rest of Taiwan delegation should be barred from event
- A tense political triangle just got even stickier in advance of Donald Trump's inauguration. China's Foreign Ministry said Wednesday the US shouldn't allow a Taiwanese delegation to attend Friday's ceremony, Reuters reports. This request was passed to both the Trump transition team and to President Obama'...
How Trump Reacted to
the Intel Briefings He Got
Jan 18, 2017 10:04 AM CST
How Trump Reacted to the Intel Briefings He Got
That and other coverage about the president-elect
- Interviews with Donald Trump and related stories about him and his policies are in full supply two days before he takes office. A sampling:
has a feature on Trump's life in Trump Tower: He "rarely leaves, not even for a breath of fresh air,"
Springsteen Cover Band
Pulls Out of Inauguration Party
Jan 17, 2017 1:23 AM CST
Springsteen Cover Band Pulls Out of Inauguration Party
B Street Band says decision 'based on respect for Bruce'
- Never mind the E Street Band, Donald Trump inauguration events are so controversial that even the
Street Band has backed out. The veteran Bruce Springsteen cover band has decided to pull out of New Jersey's Garden State Presidential Inaugural Gala on Thursday night, the AP reports. Springsteen has...
Commander Ordered to
Step Down Mid-Inauguration
Jan 14, 2017 7:13 AM CST
Commander Ordered to Step Down Mid-Inauguration
Timing is 'extremely unusual,' DC Guard chief says
- Maj. Gen. Errol R. Schwartz says he wouldn't leave a mission in the middle of a battle, so he doesn't understand why he is being asked to step down in the middle of Donald Trump's inauguration. Schwartz, head of the DC National Guard, has been ordered to...
Could Be Bigger Than
Jan 13, 2017 3:35 AM CST
Women's March Could Be Bigger Than Trump Inauguration
6 times as many buses are seeking permits
- The inauguration of a new president is traditionally one of the biggest events in years in Washington—but if bus parking figures are anything to go by, Donald Trump's inauguration may not even be the city's biggest event next week. DC Council member Charles Allen tells NBC4 that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Woman, 29, Arrested After Enrolling at NJ High School
Five Fired Memphis Cops Are Charged With Murder
The Suspects in Calif. Shootings Are 'Particularly Stunning'
Popular Disney Ride Has Closed, and It's Getting 'Weird'
Lawsuit: Woman, 97, Froze to Death in View of Facility's Security Cameras
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.