Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
N. Korea Accused of Continuing
Its 'Provocative Streak'
May 7, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
N. Korea Accused of Continuing Its 'Provocative Streak'
South Korea says its neighbor launched ballistic missile on Saturday, likely from submarine
- North Korea flight-tested a ballistic missile that was likely fired from a submarine on Saturday, South Korea's military said, continuing a provocative streak in weapons demonstrations that may culminate with a nuclear test in the coming weeks or months. South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said the launch...
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy
Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
Mar 16, 2022 1:00 AM CDT
Navy Nuke Engineer Turned Spy Tried to Sell Secrets to Brazil
It had not before been revealed where he and his wife tried to sell secrets
- The US naval engineer and his wife who tried to sell US nuclear secrets approached Brazil with the offer, according to a senior Brazilian official and other people briefed on the probe who spoke to the
New York Times
. Federal prosecutors and other US government officials had kept the nation'...
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy
Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Feb 19, 2022 5:30 AM CST
Engineer Pleaded Guilty in Spy Case. Now, His Wife's Plea
Diana Toebbe enters guilty plea days after Jonathan Toebbe in plot to sell sub secrets
- A Maryland woman pleaded guilty Friday to her role in a plot with her husband to sell submarine secrets to a foreign country. Diana Toebbe entered the plea in federal court in Martinsburg to one count of conspiracy to communicate restricted data. Prosecutors said they'd seek a prison term...
She Gave the OK for Steel Used
in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Nov 9, 2021 7:37 AM CST
She Gave the OK for Steel Used in Navy Subs. Now, a Guilty Plea
Retired metallurgist Elaine Thomas, 67, admits she falsified foundry's test reports on steel strength
- For about four decades, Elaine Thomas worked as a metallurgist for a steel foundry in Washington state, churning out steel castings used by Navy contractors to make submarine hulls. And for about 30 of those years, prosecutors now say, Thomas falsified results from tests designed to test the steel's...
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub
Hit Underwater Mountain
Nov 2, 2021 12:11 PM CDT
Navy: Our Nuclear Sub Hit Underwater Mountain
USS Connecticut was in the South China Sea at the time
The mystery over an accident involving a US submarine in the South China Sea has been solved: The USS Connecticut smashed into an underwater mountain that wasn't on the charts, reports CBS News . Eleven sailors were injured in the collision last month, and the sub had to sail...
Secrets, Cryptocurrency Still
Missing in Submarine Spy Case
Oct 21, 2021 7:22 AM CDT
Secrets, Cryptocurrency Still Missing in Submarine Spy Case
Jonathan and Diana Toebbe plead not guilty
- Two alleged spies arrested earlier this month are still in jail—and prosecutors say it would be too risky to release Jonathan and Diana Toebbe on bail while the nuclear submarine secrets they are accused of trying to sell to a foreign government are still unaccounted for. At a hearing...
This Might Be
Since Biden Took Office
Oct 19, 2021 2:48 AM CDT
This Might Be North Korea's Biggest Message Since Biden Took Office
It tests what was likely a submarine-launched ballistic missile
- North Korea on Tuesday fired at least one ballistic missile into the sea in what South Korea’s military described as a weapon likely designed for submarine-based launches, marking possibly the most significant demonstration of the North’s military might since President Biden took office. The launch came hours after...
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy,
'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Aug 2, 2021 9:02 AM CDT
In Deadliest US Sub Tragedy, 'No Cover-Up' Is Found
Retired Navy skipper sued for release of documents
- The release of about 3,000 pages of documents delving into the deadliest submarine disaster in US history has not yielded any sinister effort to hide the truth, a retired Navy skipper says. Instead, documents show the Navy’s policies and procedures failed to keep pace with fast-moving technological advances...
Heartbreaking Video Shows
Crew of Doomed Sub Singing
Apr 27, 2021 6:23 AM CDT
Heartbreaking Video Shows Crew of Doomed Sub Singing
Farewell song was filmed weeks before Indonesian tragedy
- A heartbreaking video released by the Indonesian military shows the crew of the doomed Indonesian Navy submarine singing a farewell song. The video was shot weeks ago, before the sub went missing Wednesday, its wreckage ultimately found on the sea floor Sunday, split into three pieces, and all 53 crew...
Indonesia Finds Submarine,
Declares the Crew Dead
Apr 25, 2021 11:00 AM CDT
Indonesia Finds Submarine, Declares the Crew Dead
53 were aboard the KRI Nanggala, which disappeared Wednesday
- The wreckage of a missing Indonesian Navy submarine with 53 crew members has been located, the military said Sunday. Searchers found items and parts from the submarine, including the anchor and safety suits for crew members, CNN reports. "Based on that authentic proof, I declare here that the Nanggala...
Grim Update From Indonesian
Navy on Missing Submarine
Apr 24, 2021 5:30 AM CDT
Grim Update From Indonesian Navy on Missing Submarine
It appears there's no hope for survivors of KRI Nanggala after items from sub were found
- Indonesia's navy on Saturday said items were found from a missing submarine , indicating the vessel with 53 crew members had sunk and there was no hope of finding survivors. Navy chief Yudo Margono said rescuers found several items from the KRI Nanggala 402, which disappeared after its last reported...
Missing Submarine Down to
Its Final Hours of Oxygen
Apr 23, 2021 8:27 AM CDT
Missing Submarine Down to Its Final Hours of Oxygen
Assuming the Indonesian submarine is still intact
- American help is on the way for Indonesian rescuers desperately trying to find a missing submarine before all hope of finding survivors disappears. An American reconnaissance aircraft has been sent to the search area in the Bali Sea as the Pentagon says it is "deeply saddened" by the disappearance...
Missing Sub Has
72 Hours of Oxygen Left
Apr 22, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Missing Sub Has 72 Hours of Oxygen Left
Oil slicks could instead point to a sign from crew, or disaster aboard KRI Nanggala-402
- The clock is ticking to find an Indonesian Navy sub with 53 people on board, which has now been missing for more than 24 hours . The last contact came around 3am Wednesday as the sub was completing a torpedo drill north of Bali. Officials believe the crew, led by Marine...
Indonesian Sub Carrying 53
May Have Sunk Into Trench
Apr 21, 2021 8:47 AM CDT
Indonesian Sub Carrying 53 May Have Sunk Into Trench
Sub vanished north of Bali during torpedo drill early Wednesday
- A submarine belonging to Indonesia's Navy has gone missing off the coast of Bali, with 53 people on board. The KRI Nanggala-402 sub was conducting a torpedo drill north of Bali early Wednesday when it vanished about 60 miles from shore, per Reuters and the BBC . The country has...
A US Sub Was Lost in 1963.
Now We Know Why
Mar 21, 2021 7:40 AM CDT
A US Sub Was Lost in 1963. Now We Know Why
Declassified documents related to 1963 sinking of USS Thresher are released
- From the 1970s on, the US Navy hasn't lost a single submarine. But in April 1963 it suffered its deadliest submarine disaster when the nuclear-powered USS Thresher sank off Cape Cod, killing all 129 people on board. The details of what led to that fate had been kept under...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
$125K Will Now
Get You to the Titanic
Nov 6, 2020 9:45 AM CST
$125K Will Now Get You to the Titanic
Expeditions open to tourists to launch in May
- A few dozen wealthy and adventurous tourists will be among the first in 15 years to set eyes on the world's most famous shipwreck. OceanGate Expeditions will be ferrying tourists to the wreck of the Titanic annually between May and September beginning next year—at a cost. For $125,...
Nazi Symbols Help Identify
Ship That Sank 80 Years Ago
Sep 14, 2020 4:43 PM CDT
Nazi Symbols Help Identify Ship That Sank 80 Years Ago
Torpedoed warship sits upright 1,600 feet below the surface
- The swastikas gave it away. Eighty years after a British submarine sank the German warship Karlsruhe during World War II, images from a remotely operated vehicle have helped identify the wreckage. The cruiser is sitting upright 1,607 feet below the surface off the southern coast of Norway, Live Science...
Navy Enters Barents Sea
for First Time Since Cold War
May 4, 2020 2:25 PM CDT
Navy Enters Barents Sea for First Time Since Cold War
Russia is tracking American, British vessels operating in the Arctic
- The US Navy says Russian submarine activity in the Arctic has risen to Cold War levels—and, for the first time since the collapse of the Soviet Union, Navy surface vessels have entered the Barents Sea. The 6th Fleet said four American destroyers and a British Royal Navy vessel were...
Go to Earth's
Apr 1, 2020 7:46 AM CDT
Go to Earth's Deepest Spot —for $750K
More people have been to space than to Challenger Deep
- If now sounds like a good time to escape to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, with $750,000 you probably can. For that price, explorer and retired naval officer Victor Vescovo will take daring travelers to the deepest point on Earth, Challenger Deep in Mariana Trench, which has been...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Suspected 'Mass Fentanyl Poisoning Event' Kills 9 in Florida
How Parade Shooting Suspect Managed to Buy 5 Guns
Scathing Obit: 'It Will Be Challenging to Miss Lawrence'
Boys 'Shouldn't Have Been Able to Physically Do What They Did'
Amazon Prime Rolls Out a Big 'Thank You' to Customers
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.