X

John Daly: USGA Won't Give Me a Cart, So I Quit

Golfer withdraws from US Senior Open after request to use cart is denied
By Arden Dier,  Newser Staff
Posted Jun 26, 2018 7:01 AM CDT
John Daly plays a shot during a practice round ahead of the British Open Golf Championship on July 19, 2017.   (AP Photo/Dave Thompson)
camera-icon View 1 more image

(Newser) – John Daly says he was forced to withdraw from the US Senior Open in Colorado Springs because his request to use a golf cart under the Americans With Disabilities Act was denied. The golfer, who's been battling a right knee injury, announced his withdrawal from the event in a Monday tweet, though golfers covered by the ADA "may be permitted to use a golf cart as an accommodation to his or her disability" when carts are otherwise prohibited, per ESPN. "It's my career they're screwing around with here," Daly tells USA Today. "I'm pissed because I've been playing good golf and I want to play golf, that’s what I do for a living."

In a statement, the USGA says "each request is reviewed individually" and Daly's submission under the ADA "did not support a waiver of the walking condition." It adds Daly withdrew after he was given "the opportunity to provide additional information to support his request." Daly disputes that, however, claiming USGA "had already made their decision after our exhaustive medical submission." "Just going to give the knee a rest," the 52-year-old adds in a tweet. "Don't know what's ahead for me." Per the Colorado Springs Gazette, golfer Scott Verplank was permitted to use a golf cart for the event. (Read more golf stories.)

My Take on This Story
Show results without voting  |  
16%
11%
15%
3%
0%
56%