Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Gets Pacemaker as
He Awaits Results
May 17, 2022 7:20 PM CDT
Front-Runner Gets Pacemaker as He Awaits Results
John Fetterman, seeking Democratic Senate nomination in Pennsylvania, had a stroke days ago
- On the day Pennsylvania Democratic voters going to the polls to decide whether to nominate him for the US Senate, Lt. Gov. John Fetterman had an appointment elsewhere. The front-runner in the primary had a pacemaker with defibrillator installed, Politico reports, days after he suffered a stroke . Fetterman's campaign...
Senate Candidate Has a Stroke
May 15, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Senate Candidate Has a Stroke
John Fetterman says he's still in Pennsylvania Democratic primary on Tuesday
- Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman, the leading Democrat in the state's high-profile Senate contest, has suffered a stroke but is on his way to a "full recovery," his campaign said on Sunday. Fetterman, 52, said in a statement that he wasn't feeling well Friday and went...
For Sinema and Manchin,
a Big Question Looms
Jan 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
For Sinema and Manchin, a Big Question Looms
Will the Democratic party support primary challenges against them in 2024?
- Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin didn't budge on the filibuster—thus dooming voting-rights legislation —and have cemented their roles as perceived fiends among Democrats. Now the big question in regard to the Democratic senators: Will the party try to "primary" them in 2024? Chuck Schumer and other...
The New York Presidential
Primary Is Back On
May 6, 2020 3:33 AM CDT
The New York Presidential Primary Is Back On
Judge restores it after pushback from Sanders, Yang
- The New York Democratic presidential primary must take place June 23 because canceling it would be unconstitutional and deprive withdrawn presidential candidates Bernie Sanders and Andrew Yang of proper representation at the Democratic convention, a judge ruled Tuesday. US District Judge Analisa Torres in Manhattan ruled after lawyers for Sanders...
A New Poll Has Troubling
News for Elizabeth Warren
Feb 28, 2020 12:06 PM CST
A New Poll Has Troubling News for Elizabeth Warren
She's trailing in her home state of Massachusetts
- Elizabeth Warren didn't see the results she wanted in Iowa , New Hampshire , and Nevada , and it remains to be seen how she'll fare in the South Carolina primary on Saturday, though it doesn't look promising there , either. With Super Tuesday coming up in a few days, Warren'...
Sanders to Propose
to an 'Absurdity'
Jun 24, 2019 9:02 AM CDT
Sanders to Propose 'Revolutionary' End to an 'Absurdity'
Presidential contender wants to wipe out all $1.6T of student loan debt in the US
- The first debates for Democratic presidential contenders are taking place Wednesday and Thursday, but one candidate isn't keeping a major proposal under wraps until then. Per Vox , Sen. Bernie Sanders on Monday is set to unveil legislation in support of a "College for All" proposal that calls for...
She Might Be First Socialist
NY State Senator in Century
Sep 14, 2018 5:41 AM CDT
She Might Be First Socialist NY State Senator in Century
Democratic socialist Julia Salazar scores big win
- Democratic socialist Julia Salazar overcame intense scrutiny of her personal life to win the Democratic primary for a state Senate seat in Brooklyn while voters throughout the state punished a group of incumbent Democratic legislators they perceived as too friendly to Republicans. Salazar, a 27-year-old first-time candidate, handily defeated 67-year-old...
Bernie Sanders' Son
Finishes 7th in Primary
Sep 12, 2018 12:11 AM CDT
Bernie Sanders' Son Finishes 7th in Primary
His father doesn't believe in 'dynastic politics'
- Bernie Sanders declined to endorse his only son in his run for Congress, saying he doesn't believe in "dynastic politics"—and it appears voters in New Hampshire don't, either. Levi Sanders fell a long way short in his bid to replace retiring Rep. Carol Shea-Porter in...
'Trumpier Than Trump'
Candidate Loses in W.Va
May 9, 2018 12:43 AM CDT
'Trumpier Than Trump' Candidate Loses in W.Va
Don Blankenship finished 3rd in GOP primary
- He claimed be "Trumpier than Trump"—but he couldn't overcome President Trump's opposition to his candidacy . Retired coal baron and ex-federal convict Don Blankenship finished in third place in West Virginia's hard-fought Senate primary on Tuesday. State Attorney General Patrick Morrissey won and will face...
Wasserman Schultz Now Faces 'Battle of Her Lifetime'
Jul 26, 2016 10:25 AM CDT
Wasserman Schultz Now Faces 'Battle of Her Lifetime'
Primary opponent taking advantage of her recent struggles
- Debbie Wasserman Schultz may have been at the center of the Democratic Party's so-called civil war , but she now faces what the
labels "the political battle of her lifetime." On Aug. 30, the Democratic National Committee chairwoman, who will leave her post after the party...
Sanders Wins 2
Jun 8, 2016 5:27 AM CDT
Clinton Takes California, 3 Others; Sanders Wins 2
It was the last big night of the primary season
- Hillary Clinton has won the big prize in Tuesday's voting, California, though the news comes hours after she'd already declared herself the Democratic nominee. CNN and NBC News called the state for her early Wednesday. Earlier, she won in New Jersey, New Mexico, and South Dakota, while Sanders...
Sanders Hopes for
May 17, 2016 12:01 PM CDT
Sanders Hopes for Another Upset Tuesday
Both Kentucky, Oregon up for grabs, though some still say wins against Clinton wouldn't matter
- Oregon and Kentucky are both holding Democratic primaries Tuesday, and even though
notes it "won't really matter" whether Hillary Clinton loses to Bernie Sanders there—per the AP , she's got 2,240 pledged and superdelegates to Sanders' 1,473, not far from the required 2,...
Sanders Off DC
Mar 30, 2016 6:50 PM CDT
Party's Mistake Could Keep Sanders Off DC Primary Ballot
The DC Democratic Party was a day late filing his registration info
- There's a chance Bernie Sanders' name doesn't appear on the ballot for the Washington, DC, primary thanks to some heel dragging from the DC Democratic Party, NBC Washington reports. The campaigns for both Sanders and Hillary Clinton submitted their $2,500 registration fee to the party on time....
Right to Vote
Mar 9, 2016 12:38 PM CST
Sanders Sues Ohio Over 17-Year-Olds' Right to Vote
But Ohio's secretary of state says the law is 'crystal clear' they're not allowed
- Bernie Sanders' campaign has filed a suit against Ohio Secretary of State Jon Husted, accusing him of unlawfully trying to keep 17-year-olds from voting in Tuesday's primary, CNN reports. "The secretary of state has decided to disenfranchise people who are 17 but will be 18 by the day...
Sep 23, 2015 9:15 AM CDT
Clinton's Slap at Keystone Shows Her Primary Fears
Appealing to liberal Dems now may help her in primary, but not in general: 'WaPo'
- Take a step back from the general election, but take two steps forward toward the Democratic primary. That seems to be the strategy behind Hillary Clinton's announcement yesterday that she opposed the Keystone XL pipeline , writes Philip Bump for the
, asserting that Clinton may have purposely timed...
Aug 10, 2014 7:15 AM CDT
Hawaii Gov Abercrombie Dumped in Primary Stunner
Incumbent decisively defeated by state senator David Ige
- Hawaii Gov. Neil Abercrombie had name recognition, history, a 10-to-1 spending advantage, and President Obama's endorsement all on his side in last night's Democratic primary. All of which couldn't save him from a stunning 67% to 32% defeat at the hands of state Sen. David Ige, reports...
Feb 5, 2014 7:22 AM CST
Clay Aiken: I'm Running for Congress
Will enter Democratic primary in North Carolina
- The murmurs are true: Clay Aiken will today announce he is running for Congress. He'll enter a North Carolina Democratic primary whose winner will face incumbent Republican Renee Ellmers. He's running in the state's 2nd Congressional District as a political outsider, and intentionally so, the
Weiner Concedes: 'I Was
an Imperfect Messenger'
Sep 11, 2013 12:03 AM CDT
Weiner Concedes: 'I Was an Imperfect Messenger'
Sexting partner tries to crash NYC also-ran's event
- While the final result in the Democratic primary for NYC mayor remains unclear , we can finally, finally stick a fork in Anthony Weiner's torturous campaign to run the Big Apple. The scandal-plagued former congressman finished in fifth place with around 5% of the vote. "We had the best...
Jul 15, 2013 6:11 PM CDT
Weiner, Spitzer Leading Polls
New poll finds scandal-plagued candidates are leading primary races
- Perhaps any publicity really is good publicity. Despite their high-profile sex scandals—or maybe because of them—both Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer are leading their respective Democratic primary races, according to a new poll by Quinnipiac University. The poll of 738 Democratic voters found 25% supported Weiner for mayor...
Backs ... Sanford
Apr 4, 2013 11:25 AM CDT
Colbert Sister's Former Opponent Backs ... Sanford
Ben Frasier says Colbert Busch isn't conservative enough
- Well, this can't feel great: The Democrat who opposed Elizabeth Colbert Busch in the primary for a vacant congressional seat has endorsed her Republican opponent, former South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford. Ben Frasier got only 4% of the vote last month against Colbert Busch, the sister of political satirist...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
These Were Hollywood's Worst Moves
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.