Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Mar 1, 2020 7:51 AM CST
Tony Romo Scores a Sweet Gig
Former QB is now the highest-paid analyst in TV history with new $17M CBS contract
- Tony Romo will become the highest-paid man to call an NFL game, thanks to a new deal to remain at CBS that'll see him bring home an eye-popping $17 million a season—considerably more than the previous record of $8 million a year set by one John Madden. The...
Outbreak Prompts CBS to Shut
Feb 28, 2020 4:40 PM CST
Outbreak Prompts CBS to Shut Production of
Network didn't say when filming will resume
- The closings to prevent the spread of the new coronavirus have reached reality TV. CBS announced Friday that it has stopped production of the next season of
The Amazing Race
, CNN reports, and sent everyone home. "No Racers or anyone on the production team travelling with them have contracted...
Fred Silverman Put a Series
of Hits on All 3 Major Networks
Jan 30, 2020 7:00 PM CST
Fred Silverman Put a Series of Hits on All 3 Major Networks
Executive backed Roots , All in the Family
- Fred Silverman, who steered programming for each of the Big Three broadcast networks and brought
All in the Family
and other hit series and miniseries to television, died Thursday. He was 82. Silverman, who had been battling cancer, died at his home in the Pacific Palisades area...
Jeff Probst Issues Big
Dec 19, 2019 12:50 PM CST
Jeff Probst Issues Big Apology on
'You were right,' host tells former contestant Kellee Kim
contestant Kellee Kim pointed out fellow contestant Dan Spilo's "inappropriate touching" starting on day one of the reality TV competition. By day 22, producers had gotten involved and the issue was addressed on the show ; Kim was voted off the island that same day. By day 36...
First Time Ever
Dec 12, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Boots Castaway for First Time Ever
Dan Spilo left the island, and not because he was voted off
- For the first time in its 39 seasons (yes, we said 39),
has booted a cast member for inappropriate behavior. "A decision has been made, and Dan will not be returning to the game," host Jeff Probst told the castaways on Wednesday's episode, referring to former...
Complaint Riles CBS
Nov 17, 2019 5:46 PM CST
New Harassment Complaint Riles CBS
Broti Gupta, a young writer, says she felt forced to quit her job
- Two women have quit their jobs after yet another sexual harassment complaint at CBS, the
New York Times
reports. Broti Gupta, a writer on
Carol's Second Act
, complained in September that executive producer David Hunt—husband of the show's star, Patricia Heaton—got handsy with her on two...
Nov 14, 2019 12:25 PM CST
A #MeToo Moment on
Contestant Dan Spilo accused of being too handsy
- Reality TV got quite real Wednesday night during a double episode of
, with an unexpected dose of #MeToo.
reports on the "major scandal" to touch the CBS show involving contestant Dan Spilo, a 48-year-old Hollywood talent manager, and some of his fellow tribe members. Multiple contestants accused...
Smothers Brothers Mark
50 Years of Being Fired by CBS
Jul 29, 2019 7:13 PM CDT
Smothers Brothers Mark 50 Years of Being Fired by CBS
Network wanted to censor antiwar, political bits
- Getting fired from work isn't usually a cause to celebrate. But the Smothers Brothers aren't your run-of-the-mill comedians. The duo has stepped out of retirement to commemorate the day 50 years ago when CBS canceled their show over their political impudence. Tom and Dick Smothers—ages 80 and...
In One Way,
Colbert Is New
King of Late Night
May 23, 2019 7:39 AM CDT
In One Way, Colbert Is New King of Late Night
'Late Show' beat NBC's 'Tonight Show' with Jimmy Fallon for the adults-under-50 set
- Not since David Letterman's early days at CBS as host of the
has the network reigned over a key segment of the late-night domain. That just changed, according to Nielsen's newest ratings. Per the
Late Show With Stephen Colbert
just assumed the No....
Firm in America
Has 'String of
Jan 11, 2019 12:55 PM CST
Most-Hated Firm in America Has 'String of PR Disasters'
Facebook really gets our goat, per 24/7 Wall St.
- The opposite of love may be indifference, but hate is what Americans harbor for the companies that annoy, enrage, and frustrate them. And those firms fall in a variety of sectors, per 24/7 Wall St ., which ranked the most loathed companies in the country based on consumer surveys, data from...
CBS News Head Steps Down
Jan 7, 2019 2:31 AM CST
CBS News Head Steps Down
Susan Zirinsky will replace David Rhodes
- CBS said Sunday that its news division president, David Rhodes, is stepping down following a troubled year that saw morning anchor Charlie Rose and the top executive at
lose their jobs following misconduct reports. He is being replaced by veteran producer Susan Zirinsky. Zirinsky, who started work at...
Eliza Dushku Counters
by CBS, Actor
Dec 20, 2018 3:26 AM CST
Eliza Dushku Counters 'Deceptive' Claims by CBS, Actor
She says co-star, CBS are misrepresenting her $9.5M settlement with network
- Eliza Dushku says she was treated shamefully on the set of
and fired for "simply asking to do my job without relentless sexual harassment." In a
op-ed, Dushku says she decided to speak out to counter "deceptive" claims made by CBS,
CBS to Les Moonves:
No $120M for You
Dec 17, 2018 5:35 PM CST
CBS to Les Moonves: No $120M for You
The company's board denies him huge severance package
- That $120 million? Don't bank on it, Les. CBS says an internal sexual-misconduct probe has tanked any hope of ex-CEO Les Moonves getting his ginormous severance, CNBC reports. "We have determined that there are grounds to terminate for cause, including his willful and material misfeasance ... as well as...
CBS Paid $9.5M
Dec 14, 2018 8:46 AM CST
CBS Paid $9.5M Sex Harassment Settlement to Eliza Dushku
Actress reported harassing comments from 'Bull' star Michael Weatherly
- An investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against Leslie Moonves, as well as "cultural issues at all levels of CBS," revealed that the company paid $9.5 million to actress Eliza Dushku to settle harassment claims on the set of
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
alum, 37, had...
One Part of
Dec 12, 2018 6:15 AM CST
One Part of Charlie Rose Lawsuit 'Resolved'
CBS News has settled, but the part of complaint that names Rose himself is still active
- Dozens of women have accused Charlie Rose of sexual misconduct stretching back decades; there's now a bit of legal closure for a handful of them. A suit in New York state alleging the 76-year-old engaged in "blatant and repeated sexual harassment" of three former junior colleagues has been...
Report: CBS Boss Had Worker
'On Call' for Oral Sex
Dec 5, 2018 6:59 AM CST
Report: CBS Boss Had Worker 'On Call' for Oral Sex
Lawyers say Moonves was 'evasive and untruthful'
- Former CBS chairman and CEO Les Moonves engaged in widespread sexual misconduct in the workplace, according to a report from lawyers the network hired to investigate allegations. Investigators were told by multiple CBS employees that Moonves kept a woman on the payroll "on call to perform oral sex,"...
4 of Top 5 Highest-Paid TV
Actors Hail From One Show
Oct 25, 2018 7:30 AM CDT
4 of Top 5 Highest-Paid TV Actors Hail From One Show
'Big Bang Theory' actors are bringing home nice bank
- Talk about going out with a bang.
has put out its list of the highest-paid actors on TV, and four of the top five are from one hit show:
The Big Bang Theory
on CBS, with lead Jim Parsons banking a comfortable $26.5 million a year—not only...
Julie Chen Backs Hubby
Moonves With Single Word
Sep 14, 2018 5:11 AM CDT
Julie Chen Backs Hubby Moonves With Single Word
'I'm Julie Chen Moonves,' host said in CBS return
- There was no time for Julie Chen to address the ousting of her husband , CBS chairman Leslie Moonves, in the latest episode of
on Thursday, but she did offer a clear show of support. "From outside the
house, I'm Julie Chen Moonves," the...
CBS Reporter Reveals
Text That Got Fager Fired
Sep 13, 2018 2:13 AM CDT
CBS Reporter Reveals Text That Got Fager Fired
'There are people who lost their jobs trying to harm me,' he warned her
- Jeff Fager complained Wednesday that CBS fired him after 36 years because of a single text message . The
executive producer didn't mention that the message warned a CBS reporter that she could lose her job for reporting on the sexual harassment allegations against him. "If you...
Another Head Rolls at CBS
Sep 12, 2018 2:12 PM CDT
Another Head Rolls at CBS
'60 Minutes' chief Jeff Fager is out amid harassment allegations
- Another CBS bigwig is out following the bombshell
article that led to Les Moonves' departure from the network. Jeff Fager, longtime executive producer of
, was also named in the article , with women accusing him of allowing a culture of harassment in his division as well as...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
A Game for the Ages Sparks Call for Rule Change
Palin Tests Positive for COVID, NYT Trial Delayed
After Another Attack, a New Subway Warning
Virginia's New Republican Governor Making Waves
A.I. Has Changed Poker, and Maybe Killed Its 'Soul'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.