Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
At Masters, Scheffler Does
What Only One Man Has Done
Apr 10, 2022 9:03 PM CDT
At Masters, Scheffler Does What Only One Man Has Done
He joins Ian Woosnam as only players to win a major in their debut at No. 1 in the world
- That new No. 1 ranking for Scottie Scheffler looks even better in a Masters green jacket. Two months after Scheffler finally broke through for his first PGA Tour victory, he capped off a most incredible 56-day stretch by making his fourth win the biggest of them all—the Masters by...
His Masters Test
With Brutal Score
Apr 10, 2022 3:45 PM CDT
Woods Completes His Masters Test With Brutal Score
Golfing great posts his personal worst at Augusta, but manages to play all 72 holes
- After playing well enough in the first couple of rounds to make the cut, Tiger Woods wrapped up his Masters on Sunday with his worst score at Augusta ever. Woods' 6-over 78 dropped him well out of contention, CBS Sports reports, and was only one stroke better than his worst...
Apr 7, 2022 5:41 PM CDT
Woods Plays Again at Augusta
Star posts 71 in return to Masters
- Tiger Woods had some good moments, some unlucky outcomes and a couple of blunders Thursday in his opening round of the Masters. Given what he's gone through over the last past year or so, he surely wasn’t going to complain. His day at Georgia's Augusta National was...
Tiger Woods: 'I Feel
Like I'm Going to Play'
Apr 5, 2022 11:28 AM CDT
Tiger Woods: 'I Feel Like I'm Going to Play'
Golf legend is at Augusta, plans to compete in the Masters this week
Tiger Woods says he plans to play in this week's Masters. If he does, it would be his first competitive tournament since he was seriously injured in a car accident last year, notes the
. “As of right now, I feel like I am going to...
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Nov 29, 2021 12:35 PM CST
A 'True Pioneer' in Golf Is Dead
Lee Elder was the first Black golfer to play Masters
- Lee Elder, who broke down racial barriers as the first Black golfer to play in the Masters and paved the way for Tiger Woods and others to follow, has died at the age of 87. The PGA Tour announced Elder’s death, which was first reported Monday by Debert Cook...
The World Has Its First
Japanese Winner of the Masters
Apr 12, 2021 12:00 AM CDT
The World Has Its First Japanese Winner of the Masters
Hideki Matsuyama wears the green jacket
- Hideki Matsuyama delivered golf-mad Japan the grandest and greenest prize of all. Ten years after Matsuyama made a sterling debut as the best amateur at Augusta National, he claimed the ultimate trophy Sunday with a victory in the Masters to become the first Japanese winner of the green jacket, the...
Johnson Defies History
With Masters Win
Nov 15, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Johnson Defies History With Masters Win
The No. 1-ranked player finishes at 20-under 268
- Nothing ever comes easily for Dustin Johnson in the majors, except for when he slipped his arms through that Masters green jacket Sunday, the AP reports. Johnson overcame a jittery start that conjured memories of past majors he failed to finish off. He turned that into a command performance, making...
You're Not Going to
Believe This Hole-in-One
Nov 11, 2020 9:10 AM CST
You're Not Going to Believe This Hole-in-One
Jon Rahm skips ball across pond at Augusta National—on his birthday, no less
- It's tradition for golfers to try to skip their ball across the pond before the 16th hole at Augusta National Golf Club during practice rounds, per ESPN . In doing so, Jon Rahm may have made the shot of his life, and on his 26th birthday no less. The Spanish...
2 More Big Sports
Events Are Postponed
Mar 13, 2020 2:21 PM CDT
2 More Big Sports Events Are Postponed
Boston Marathon and the Masters
- The list of famed sports events canceled because of the spreading coronavirus grew again Friday. The Boston Marathon now is scheduled for Sept. 14 instead of April 20. And the Masters golf tournament, which was to run April 9-12 at Augusta National, is postponed indefinitely. "Our priority right now...
Tiger Woods Wins Masters
in Stunning Comeback
Apr 14, 2019 1:50 PM CDT
Tiger Woods Wins Masters in Stunning Comeback
The once-great golfer proves he's great again
- Tiger Woods achieved an incredible career comeback Sunday by winning his fifth Masters and his first major tournament in nearly 11 years, ESPN reports. And he did it in dramatic fashion, beginning the final round at 2 down against Italy's Francesco Molinari, the reigning Open champ, and playing an...
Apr 13, 2019 6:59 AM CDT
Bizarre Course Hazard Befalls Tiger Woods at Masters
A security guard slips, then slides into the golfer's ankle on the course at Masters
- Tiger Woods is very much in the hunt at the Masters, just one stroke behind the leaders after two rounds. And that's despite a strange occurrence on the 14th hole that appeared to injure him, at least briefly. After Woods launched his second shot, a security guard trying to...
You've Probably Never Heard
a Golfer Talk Quite Like This
Apr 12, 2019 1:14 PM CDT
You've Probably Never Heard a Golfer Talk Quite Like This
'Mad scientist' Bryson DeChambeau is rising in rankings with a very calculated approach
- Golfer Bryson DeChambeau is off to a strong start at this week's Masters, which probably isn't a surprise to those following the 25-year-old's fast ascent up the world rankings. He's currently ranked sixth, and DeChambeau's unusual approach to the game is drawing lots of attention....
Wins the Masters
Apr 8, 2018 8:03 PM CDT
'Captain America' Wins the Masters
Patrick Reed does it, in a notably fuchsia shirt
- Patrick Reed became famous playing for his country. He won for himself Sunday and became a Masters champion. It was never easy, just the way Reed likes it. Rory McIlroy came after him early. Jordan Spieth roared to life with a final-round charge and briefly caught Reed with a 35-foot...
Suddenly, Tiger Woods
Has Masters Abuzz Again
Apr 5, 2018 7:50 AM CDT
Suddenly, Tiger Woods Has Masters Abuzz Again
He's seen as a strong contender this weekend after all but disappearing from golf
- The Masters gets underway Thursday, and club chairman Fred Ridley says he can't remember any previous one generating so much buzz. The main reason: Tiger Woods, who has returned to competition after a fourth back surgery and suddenly looks very much like a 14-time major champion capable of resuming...
Golfer's Fall Down the Stairs
Shakes Up Masters
Apr 6, 2017 7:54 AM CDT
Golfer's Fall Down the Stairs Shakes Up Masters
No. 1 golfer Dustin Johnson slips and hurts his back
- The first golfers at the Masters teed off Thursday morning, but the tournament's biggest development may have occurred before the first shot. On Wednesday, the No. 1 golfer in the world slipped on steps at his rental home in Augusta, Ga., and wrenched his back, reports ESPN . That would...
In Major Shock, Willett
Wins the Masters
Apr 10, 2016 8:00 PM CDT
In Major Shock, Willett Wins the Masters
Defending Masters champion Jordan Spieth threw it away
- Danny Willett in a green jacket was hard to believe considering he wasn't even sure he could play the Masters two weeks ago. No one was more stunned than Jordan Spieth. Nine holes away from another wire-to-wire victory, the defending Masters champion threw it away Sunday with a collapse...
Spieth Stuns With Masters Win
Apr 12, 2015 6:00 PM CDT
Spieth Stuns With Masters Win
Jordan Spieth makes history at Augusta National
- Jordan Spieth got more than redemption and a green jacket today. He took his place among the best in the game with a Masters victory for the ages. One year after he lost a bid to become the youngest player to win the Masters, the 21-year-old Texan turned in one...
to Win Masters
Apr 14, 2013 6:56 PM CDT
Adam Scott First Aussie to Win Masters
He beats Angel Cabrera in a playoff
- Adam Scott has become the first Australian to win the Masters, beating Angel Cabrera on the second hole of a playoff on a rainy day at Augusta National. The Masters went to a sudden-death playoff for the second year in a row when Scott and Cabrera made matching birdies on...
Loses 2 Strokes
Apr 13, 2013 10:15 AM CDT
Tiger Woods Loses 2 Strokes Before Golf Even Begins
He gets penalized for a bad drop yesterday
- The Masters' rules-keepers aren't letting much slide this year, no matter how big the name. Tiger Woods got penalized two strokes before the start of the third round this morning after officials reviewed a drop he took on the 15th hole yesterday, reports ESPN . It's a huge penalty,...
Kid, 14, Makes Cut
Tiger Near Lead
Apr 12, 2013 6:43 PM CDT
Kid, 14, Makes Cut Despite Penalty; Tiger Near Lead
Guan Tianlang survives after 1-stroke penalty for slow play
- The two big story lines from the Masters continue to deliver:
The 14-year-old from China, already the youngest player ever to tee off at the event, made the cut at 4-over. This despite the fact that he got penalized one stroke on the 17th for slow play. (It
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
AMC Networks Is Having a Rough Day
They Traveled 2K Miles on Ship's Rudder
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
200 People Drift Away While Ice Fishing in Minnesota
They Came In With Paddles to Save Him. A Fireball Erupted
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.